Help with Family, Finances

and the Future

Appointing A Guardian To Look After A Vulnerable Loved One

For much of your life, you counted on your parents to lead, making it painfully difficult to see their mental or physical deterioration. It is even worse if a stroke or dementia causes your parent’s condition to deteriorate to the point that they cannot safely make even the most basic financial or legal decisions.

Parents who have lovingly cared for a child with special needs find that when they turn 18 and are automatically presumed legally competent, the parents are no longer able to provide parental guidance.

You may need to request guardianship for a vulnerable loved one if you find yourself struggling with these types of questions:

  • Is a member of your family unable to manage their affairs?
  • Have you been told you need to become their guardian?
  • When do you take control from an adult?

Contact Rice & Quattrone, PC in Cherry Hill or Linwood to discuss your situation.

Handling Sensitive Matters With Care And Skill

We know that the decision to request that the court appoint a guardian for your aging parent or another loved one is difficult. Our attorneys are sensitive to the issues involved. Contact us to speak with a guardianship lawyer about your concerns.

In many situations, one of our attorneys, working with your family, will be able to resolve the situation with an economical, dignified alternative – a general durable power of attorney granting a representative the authority to make decisions on behalf of the vulnerable person. The durable power of attorney does not require a doctor’s statement of incapacity or a court appearance and takes effect immediately. However, this solution is only available if the person granting the power of attorney to a representative is willing and competent.

How We Can Assist You

If it is necessary to apply to the court to appoint a guardian for an adult, you need an experienced legal guardianship lawyer who will handle the issue with sensitivity, minimizing the strain on family relations. For over 30 years, the team at Rice & Quattrone, PC, has been helping families protect their loved ones through guardianships and conservatorships. Our attorneys focus entirely on elder law and planning for special needs care.

Sometimes, an older relative can begin making bad decisions because of the influence of someone who wishes to exploit their fragile condition. If this happened in your family, you may have to contest the executed will or the estate. Our probate lawyers will provide aggressive representation to ensure that the true intentions of your loved one are carried out.

Help Is A Click Or Call Away

Discuss your concerns with a knowledgeable, compassionate lawyer at our firm. You can reach our legal team online or over the phone at 609-398-3447 or 856-673-0048. Our offices are located in Linwood and Cherry Hill, but we serve clients throughout New Jersey and across the greater Philadelphia metro area.