Jump to Navigation

Contact Our Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Locations

Law Offices of Nancy M. Rice
1236 Brace Road, Suite F
Cherry Hill, NJ 08034
Phone: 856-673-0048
Fax: 856-673-0052
Map and Directions

Linwood Office
Linwood Professional Plaza
2021 New Road, Unit #9
Linwood, NJ 08021
Phone: 609-398-3447
Fax: 856-673-0052
Map and Directions

2014| South Jersey's Most Influential Law Firms | SNJ BUSINESS PEOPLE| readers' choice

Special Needs Trusts

Cherry Hill Special Needs Trust Attorney

Toms River Special Needs Financial Planning Lawyer

Linwood · Cherry Hill · Toms River · Deptford · Voorhees · Moorestown · Mount Laurel · Woodbury

If your family is caring for a child with disabilities, you may not be aware of options that would allow you to use funds from your child's inheritance or personal injury settlement / award to help your family provide care and enhance quality of life for your child now, while maintaining his or her eligibility for Medicaid at a later date.

At our southern New Jersey firm, the Law Offices of Nancy M. Rice, we offer a Special Needs Trust especially designed for families caring for children with disabilities. Our "Convertible Special Needs Trust" avoids the problem created by the typical d4A Supplemental Needs Trust commonly used to shelter a disabled person's funds:

If a child's funds are placed in a d4A Trust while the parents are still able to provide care in their home and under their health insurance plan, the care-giving parents are not able to use the money to enrich the child's life or relieve the family's stress. At the time of the disabled person's death, any remaining funds are used to repay Medicaid benefits.

The Convertible Special Needs Trust designed by Elder Law Attorney Nancy M. Rice allows the parents or other caregiver to freely access the funds on behalf of the disabled child. Then, when the child becomes eligible for Medicaid due to his or her need for skilled nursing care or by turning eighteen, remaining funds are smoothly transferred to a Special Needs Trust that allows the owner lifetime access.

If you or your child has suffered serious, disabling injuries, it is important to prepare for any award or settlement before the money is received. If a person who is legally incapacitated receives an inheritance or personal injury award larger than $5000 and there is no Trust prepared to receive the funds, they are automatically deposited with the County Surrogate. It is very difficult for the family to then use the funds on behalf of the child. We are happy to work with personal injury attorneys in this area.

As the caregiver for someone with special needs, in addition to special needs financial planning, planning to minimize taxation, and a Special Needs Trust, you also need to plan for the time when child becomes a legal adult or an adult becomes legally incompetent by preparing a Durable Power of Attorney or  Guardianship. If you or someone you care about is facing probate or estate planning issues, an Elder Law Attorney at our firm will take the time to get to know you before crafting a plan to meet your unique needs. Contact our southern New Jersey Elder Law Offices at either Cherry Hil or Linwood.